For 490 days of their majority, House Republicans have obstructed Democratic initiatives to grow the economy while simultaneously refusing to put forward their own jobs agenda. Today, President Obama urged Congress to act on a ‘to do list’ that will create jobs at home, strengthen our manufacturing base, invest in clean energy jobs, and help restore the economic security of middle class families, homeowners, entrepreneurs, and veterans. From the Associated Press:
Obama’s wish list includes a number of proposals that he has outlined previously but have failed to gain traction in Congress. They include eliminating tax incentives for companies that ship jobs overseas and promoting new tax credits for small businesses and for companies to develop clean energy.
…The components of his challenge to Congress — and to the Republican-led House in particular — will be a feature of his appearances throughout the spring, aides said…
…The president’s pitch on Tuesday, at the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering at the State University of New York, will underscore the obstructions he has faced from Republicans, and at a time when critics across the political spectrum are assailing a “do-nothing Congress.”…
Congressional Democrats support President Obama’s job-creating initiatives and join his call for Republicans to stop obstructing economic growth and act. Leader Pelosi:
President Obama’s ‘to do list’ shines a bright light on the failure of the House Republicans to address middle class economic security – the ability to get a job, start and expand a business, or own a home. The American people get up every morning facing these challenges and ready to work; now, the Republican Congress must do the same.
Americans don’t have the luxury of taking breaks every two weeks as they seek a job and care for their families, and neither should the Republican leaders on Capitol Hill. It’s time for Republicans to abandon their agenda of obstruction and work together with Democrats to act on the President’s proposals to create jobs, strengthen the middle class, and grow the economy. Americans can’t wait.
1. Reward American Jobs, Eliminate Tax Incentives To Ship Jobs Overseas: Attract and keep good jobs in the United State sby passing legislation that gives companies a new 20 percent tax credit for the cost of moving their operations back to the U.S. Congress should pay for this credit by eliminating tax incentives that allow companies to deduct the costs of moving their business abroad.
2. Cut Red Tape So Responsible Homeowners Can Refinance: Pass legislation to cut red tape in the mortgage market so that responsible families who have been paying their mortgages on time can feel secure in their home by refinancing at today’s lower rates.
3. Invest in a New Hire Tax Credit for Small Businesses: Invest in small businesses and jumpstart new hiring by passing legislation that gives a 10 percent income tax credit for firms that create new jobs or increase wages in 2012 and that extends 100 percent expensing in 2012 for all businesses.
4. Create Jobs By Investing In Affordable Clean Energy: Help put America in control of its energy future by extending the Production Tax Credit to support American jobs and manufacturing and expanding the 30 percent tax credit to investments in clean energy manufacturing (48C Advanced Energy Manufacturing Tax Credit).
5. Put Returning Veterans to Work Using Skills Developed in the Military: Honor our commitment to returning veterans by creating a Veterans Job Corps to help Afghanistan and Iraq veterans get jobs as cops, firefighters, and serving their communities.