To: Speaker Boehner, House GOP Leaders, Tea Party Republicans
Fr: Democratic Leader’s Press Office
Dt: October 10, 2013
Re: New NBC/WSJ Poll
Trust us when we say you’re going to want to sit down.
A new NBC/WSJ poll released tonight shows the American people have had it with the Republican Government Shutdown and GOP threats to hold the full faith and credit of the United States hostage. In fact, the American people hold Republicans responsible for the shutdown 55-31 over the President, a sharper contrast than the 1995 shutdown where Congressional Republicans never got a majority of Americans holding them responsible.
- 70 percent of Americans – and 40 percent of Republicans – say Congressional Republicans are putting their own politics before the good of the country.
- Nearly three-quarters of Americans (73 percent) say the Republican Government Shutdown is “quite serious” and 68 percent say it is doing “quite a bit” of harm to the economy.
- Nearly eight in 10 Americans (78 percent) say the country is headed in the wrong direction. The only other time Americans have been this pessimistic about where our nation is headed was when Lehman Brothers collapsed sending our economy into a tailspin.
- Just 17 percent of Americans believe the economy will improve over the next 12 months. 63 percent of Americans point the finger at the budget negotiations in Washington, D.C. when asked why they are less confident our economy will improve over the next year.
- In this poll, opposition to defunding the Affordable Care Act has grown from 44 percent before the shutdown to 50 percent. Translation: support for health reform is growing because of the Republican Government Shutdown.
There is no question here… The American people are telling you it is time to end the Republican Government Shutdown.